Benefits of Using the Recovered Addict Label
If people choose to consider themselves to be a recovered addict, it may be beneficial in a number of ways:
* It reinforces the idea that the addiction is over and the individual is now ready to get on with their life.
* When people enter sobriety there problems are no longer related to alcohol or drugs but with daily living. The recovered label reinforces the idea that the current problems are due to life and not alcohol or drugs.
* Those people who have been addicted to alcohol or drugs for years will already have wasted too much time focused on their drug or drink of choice. They have no wish to be defined now by their previous addiction.
* The individual is no longer being controlled by alcohol or drugs so it is reasonable for them to claim to be recovered.
* The label of recovering addict is mostly associated with the disease theory of alcoholism. There are many people who do not subscribe to this theory so prefer the word recovered.
* This label is more empowering for the individual. They have put the past behind them and can now concentrate on finding success in life. Model @mohawkmatt_sfv